Old Norse for Modern Times by Ian Stuart Sharpe #bookreview

 Hello and welcome back, hello if you are new here.


Today I'm here with a book review. 



Old Norse for Modern Times by Ian Stuart Sharpe,

Dr. Arngrímur Vídalín & Josh Gillingham 

Published April 13th 2021 by Outland Entertainment

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ian reached out to me awhile back and kindly asked if I would be interest in reviewing his book, and clearly I said yes, or else we wouldn't be here now would we?

Old Norse for Modern Times, is a humorous book of catch phrases and the Old Norse translation of it. From modern slang to pop culture references. Have you ever wanted know what Shakespeare quotes would be like in Old Norse? From pick up lines to social media hastages. Instead of #Wednesdaywisdom use #ÓðinsdagsAndkt.

Each chapter is broken down with witty subject headers, so you know what will be spoken about.It takes the old langue into the 21st century, from the online world to sporting events, to birthday greetings. Music references to slogans. Next time you go to McDonalds, say Ek em elskandisk þat (I'm lovin' it)

I would have loved it if there had to be a pronunciation guide but I did have fun attempting to say it all aloud. Perhaps I'll learn it one day. However with that being said, there will be an audiobook and you can find samples of  the audio here, which is getting updated. 

It's a short book, but made me laugh out loud. It may not appeal to all readers but if you like learning languages, anything Norse or Viking, a history buff, or you like witty books then you will enjoy it. Even causal readers who like a good chuckle can find enjoyment. 

I like linguistics, Norse Mythology/culture, the Vikings and well I love a good laugh, so for me this book was a hit. 

I know I'm going to try to incorporate the sayings and phrases in my online life.  I appreciate all the hard work and time it must have took in organizing and translating. 

A perfect gift for the Viking lover in your life. It will make a great coffee table book, a reference manual, a fun way to impress your friends. And if you need to tell someone to F@*k off then there's translation for that too.

Add it to Goodreads and pick up your own copy on Amazon

Thank you Ian for gifting me a copy to review.

From Vinland (Newfoundland) with love. 


Happy Reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#bookreview Escaping First Contact by T.S Beier #booktour

Little White Hands by Mark Cushen (#bookreveiw + #giveaway int) #bookblitz

Skinned by Robin Wasserman