The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)The Magicians by Lev Grossman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I strongly hoped I would fall in love with this book, as I had heard it was like Harry Potter only more adult. I will give it a hat tilt, it did have some comparisons. We have a magical school, a school sport (no flying brooms mind you.) It even had different "houses", so to speak. These being the groups you wind up in after your discipline is figured out.

What I hadn't heard about The Magicians was the Narnia aspect of it. Because Fillroy = Narnia.

So like I was saying, my hopes were high. But sadly love did not come to me. That feeling of warmth and tingles failed to make an appearance. I did however like and enjoy aspects of the book.

I was turned off at times, one of these times was all the swearing. I can't say all but some of it. Don't get me wrong I've read many a tale with cursing, heck I can swear like a sailor myself at times. My point is that it didn't feel right. The flow, it felt fake at times.

Another turn off was Quinton, our main dude. He at first I found likable but then as the story continued on he just got on my nerves. I kept on thinking okay he'll redeem himself now....pages after pages later, I was still holding on to that hope. There's always book 2? Right??

While I'm on a roll, let's continue. For sure I thought there was going to be storyline and characters just forgotten about, and to some degree they were. They were bloody well just left simmering in the back, meanwhile I was thinking, gah did the author forget? Apparently he never, but I'm still in the dark. Book 2 will light my way? Right??

Now don't get me wrong I did say I liked and enjoyed aspects. I'm a sucker for magic schools, I love the magical world, I'm drawn to the mage class. So of course I would at least like the book. The storyline was able to hold my attention disbite any of the negatives I have pointed out. So for the better part of it I was happy. I will read book 2, I have to, unanswered questions and the what not.

3 star rating:
-.5 stars for the fake feel of the swearing.
-1 star for the my unhappiness with Q
-.5 for almost letting things simmer away to nothing.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#bookreview Escaping First Contact by T.S Beier #booktour

Little White Hands by Mark Cushen (#bookreveiw + #giveaway int) #bookblitz

Skinned by Robin Wasserman