Sketchy (Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1) by Olivia Samms

Sketchy (Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1)Sketchy by Olivia Samms
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Warning spoilers ahead!!

I devoured this book! From the opening right up until the very end my attention was held. Not once did I get bored, and when I had to take breaks I could not wait to get back to it.

Bea, is a recovering addict. She's been clean for 3 months. It's a daily struggle for her, anyone who's had any from of addiction knows what it is like themselves.

"So you don't use anymore?" she asks.
I take a deep inhale. "No, haven't for three months."
She pauses,"Nothing? Not even weed?"
"Nothing." I exhale.
"Is it hard?"
"Hard?" I laugh." "You ever try to stop a semi truch coming at you full speed? Like every day? Every hour? Every minute?
Yeah, it's hard, but better then where I was, I guess."


I can't even imagine going to rehab at the age of 17. It's her time spent there that she discovers her special ability. She's a talented artist, a gift she has received from both her parents. But she just doesn't draw people, when she talks to someone or looks at them when sketching she can draw the truth out of them as she calls it. An image comes to her, something picked out of the subjects brain, something they are thinking about at that moment. How or why she has this ability, she doesn't really know and at first she thought it was something related to her being in rehab and starting to get clean.

But then it starts to happen again. And who she draws shocks her and brings her back to a place she really doesn't want to be.

Girls are going missing, being raped and dying. Bea hopes that through her ability she can help find and catch the guy. But who's going to believe a former drug addict? So far everyone is quick to judge her without giving her a chance, with the exception of Chris a guy she met at art camp a few months before getting clean. And lucky for her it's his school that starts to go to.

Okay so I REALLY really liked this book! It was what I needed to read right now, pretty much everything I was looking for in story at this moment in time. Mystery, suspense, a little bit of paranormal, touching on addictions (a subject that I've currently been in the mood to be reading about.) The characters were great, I love Bea and Chris is a hoot and half, just fabulous. The writing was great, the story was fast moving, and it kept me guessing the whole time.

Rating: 4.5 stars

So why not the full 5 stars?

Well there are some unanswered questions I have, like why did her dad just mysteriously stop drawing one day? Did he see the same things that Bea does and not like what he saw and get freaked by it?


Will I be reading the next book in the series, Snitch?

Darn tootin!!


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#bookreview Escaping First Contact by T.S Beier #booktour

Little White Hands by Mark Cushen (#bookreveiw + #giveaway int) #bookblitz

Skinned by Robin Wasserman